I’d wanted to make an awesome dessert for my awesome boyfriend for some time now. However, it would have been far too easy to just ask him what kind of dessert he’d like me to bake (he’s got a great memory, and I wanted it to be a surprise). He’s also a chocoholic, so I came up with the following chocolate cake. I’m tentatively calling it Chocolate Death Cake due to its richness… But what a way to go! It’s best to make this cake the night before you want to serve it. This recipe makes two cakes, but you can also make one really thick cake, or just skip using one of the box mixes.
You will need:
- Torani dark chocolate sauce (or other high-quality chocolate syrup)
- Carnation sweetened condensed milk
- Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Two Ghirardelli chocolate cake mixes (I used one each of milk and dark chocolate)
- Eggs, oil, milk, and water (according to the directions on the boxes)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream (be sure to get the one with both adjectives… Neither heavy cream nor whipping cream are the same thing)
- Vanilla extract
- Two 9×13 baking pans
- A metal mixing bowl and whisk, chilled in the refrigerator for at least two hours
Make the cake mixes according to the directions. It’s okay to make both of them at the same time, in the same bowl. I recommend mixing the wet ingredients first.
Your batter should look like this. Pour into two bottom-greased aluminum pans (I used butter-flavored Crisco for better flavor).
Because the box directions didn’t include 9×13 pans, I reduced the heat to 325 degrees Fahrenheit, and baked the cakes for about 25 minutes. It seemed to work just fine. I poked the cake with a butter knife in several spots to check for doneness.
You will need to do the following steps to each cake, preferably while the cake is still warm.
1. Poke holes in the cake using a toothpick.
2. Pour half a can of sweetened condensed milk over the cake.
3. Drizzle chocolate syrup over the cake.
It should look like this when you’re done with step 3.
4. Let the cake soak overnight.
5. Just before serving, make the whipped cream. Pour a pint of heavy whipping cream into the chilled mixing bowl, and beat with a chilled wire whisk until it forms soft peaks. Slowly add a half cup of granulated sugar, and vanilla to taste. (Trust me, the vanilla makes it amazing.)
6. Top with Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips.
7. Enjoy the rich chocolate dessert you’ve created!
My boyfriend loved it, and said that I can make this for him anytime. 😀